update all of shared prototype failes with unexpected error (V6.0.0)

Markus shared this problem 4 years ago
Solved

Hi,


We're working on a shared prototype. Coming back from a vacation, I tried to update the shared prototype but this process failed:


1) open shared prototype


2) then it says that there are updates and if I want to download


3) next message is retrieving prototype updates


4) then comes the "Unexpected error: The update process could not be completed." message.


When hitting ok, the prototype is closed and I'm back in naked prototyper screen.


However, the two coworkers that have been working during the two weeks vacation are still able to update and work with the prototype.


Note: we started the prototype with V5.6 and upgraded to V6 in the mean time.


Currently I'm not able to work with the prototype, which is quite a nuisance. Any ideas? known solutions?


Thanks


Markus

Comments (11)

photo
1

Hi Markus,


If don't have local changes to be committed, try erasing the following folder: [user folder]Justinmind6.0.0teamwork. This will force the application to download the shared prototype again.

photo
1

Thanks for the tip.


Tryed it, didn't help. Same error. Any other idea?

photo
1

Ok, since we weren't able to figure out a simple solution and we have some time pressure, we started from scratch.


A few remarks to this:


We created the new prototype as new shared prototype from within the prototyper. Uploading a .vp or any other way to do it on the web did not work, we weren't able to see such a prototype from the prototyper. Generally, it seems that using the web interface to manage the prototypes just doesn't work. E.g. after going through all this trial and error process, there are 1.5M space on the share used by some stuff which is not deletable. Recommendation: Don't use the web interface to manage the prototypes, do this from the prototyper.


We then imported the latest version .vp file with the prototyper and uploaded this. In this process the folders we sorted the screens in were not synchronized (the folders were not uploaded). We then manually updated the folder structure, committed again and this time 85% of the folders were ok. The rest we fixed from a second persons prototype and committed again. This time, a third user actually was able to synchronize with the correct folders but one screen. That's very fishy behaviour and leaves a nagging feeling of creating corrupt stuff.


Btw. don't use automatic locking in this process. When trying to lock automatically the process fails and the prototyper hangs. You have to uncheck the corresponding flag in the properties.


It seems to me, that the whole teamwork functionnality has really some major bugs and important work left.


Markus

photo
1

There's another workaround you could do in that case. Just open the latest version .vp file and then go to Teamwork/Share prototype. The problem could come from the importing process.


Notice that teamwork prototypes can only be created, accessed or deleted from Justinmind prototyper. They cannot be managed from the web interface yet.


Regarding the automatic locking issue (https://www.justinmind.com/community...), we are aware of this bug in version 6.0 and it will be surely fixed for the next update.


Thank you for all the information provided. We will revise the process described above and try to reproduce any of the bugs you found. Also if you have further details that can help us, please let us know.

photo
1

Thanks for the update. I'm note quite sure if we tried opening the latest version .vp file and sharing it. I don't think that we thought of this solution. We will do it as soon as we run in the same issue again.


Thanks


Markus

photo
1

Ok, update from my side: We just ran into the same issue again.

photo
1

Markus, did you use the import feature on this shared project?

photo
1

For the first prototype the initial post refers to I don't know anymore. It is likely that we did, because I populated the prototype with quite a few screens from an existing prototype, and the import feature is the fastest way of doing it I found.


For the second prototype to fix the failure: Yes, we started with an empty shared prototype and then imported from a .vp file using the import feature of the prototyper (file -> import -> prototype). As mentioned in the post above, we had some fishy behavior around folders.


I just set up the third prototype with the other workaround Bernat To mentions. Saved the latest version as .vp file, deleted the broken prototype in the share using prototyper, opened the .vp file, shared it a new. This time, import feature used for the current working version.

photo
1

We've been able to reproduce the folders problem. When a project is imported, new folders created are not marked as 'new' so when a 'commit all' is executed they are not committed. This could break the screens tree structure and future commit/updates.


As a workaround (if a project is imported on a shared project) I suggest to 'lock' all new folders created once the project is imported. Then Prototyper will see them as changed and will be considered when performing commit all.


I hope it helps. However, we'll try to fix this issue for the next update.

photo
1

Great!


BTW. We had the same issue (not able to update prototype form user notes) with a former prototype as well. I just asked the person who set it up at that point. As much as we still know, we did not use the import feature with that prototype. Thus there might be other causes for not being able to update the prototype from user notes still around.

photo
1

Fixed in version 6.1