justinmind-logo

Upvote 1

Automatically popping-up a keyboard on iPhone

Answered Victor Conesa 11 years ago

Hi ,

Just started using Propotyper.

Can anyone throw some tips on getting a keyboard to automatically pop-up when the focus is on a text field or a search field? Seems like a very basic functionality but did not find a way to implement this. I did try adding a keyboard widget to the canvas in hidden mode and displaying it when user clicks on a button, but the interaction is not smooth.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

Best Answer
photo

When using an Input Text Field widget, a keyboard will automatically pop up when you click on that Input Text Field during simulation

Replies (17)
photo

We have lots of examples on our web site. In particular the iPhone App in our examples section should be of interest.

We host 2 versions of this prototype, one to be viewed with a desktop browser, the other from within an iPhone.

I point you to a screen where a click on the search button shows a search input. When the input gains focus:

- the web version makes a keyboard widget appear

- while the iPhone version uses the native keyboard.

photo

Hi , I have seen the iPhone example application and tried to undrstand what setting/event would cause the native keyboard to pop-up but did not find anything on that. I also tried to go through some of the tutorial videos but none of them I have seen until now show anything about keyboards. if there is a video for such native components then I'd really appreciate of you can point me to one.

Like I mentioned before, I did try a few workarounds but I am interested in knowing the right way to implement it.

thanks much !

photo

This has been resolved now . I think the confusion is , iPhone prototype screens are under the " To be viewed on the Web" folder.

photo

Hi!

I have the same problem, I downloaded the iphone example and try to understand how the keyboard works but couldn't. The other links don't work anymore.

I'm triyng to build an android app

photo

Hi Alessandra,

When you use an widget that accepts user input data using a keyboard and it is clicked on, the keyboard will automatically pop up.

Does this solve your question?

Best,

Marc

photo

Hi Marc,

i manage to make the keyboard pop up, but the keybord it self doesn't work on the simulation. I also tried to create every single letter and imput it into the text box, but didn't succed

photo

Hi Alessandra,

Unfortunately I'm having issues reproducing the behaviour you are describing.

Could you let me know which browser you are using when you simulate and which OS you are using?

When you click on a letter does the letter pop-up and down again (like the native keyboard does)?

Best,

Marc

photo

I'm working in windows, not online, and the simulation goes directly from the simulation button (so i guess still not online?).

I'm making an android app. Using the widget keyboard, when simulating it doesn't interact as keyboard, can just show/hide or other actions but as whole "object" not as single elements such letters

photo

Hi Alessandra,

In android you have to use your computer's keyboard to write in the inputs for text. The way to get a working native keyboard is to simulate the prototype in your device.

Only the iPhone simulators have native keyboards keyboards (your computer's keyboard works too)

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Best,

Marc

photo

Hi Mark!

Now makes sence! I'm still on time to switch to iPhone. In general, will I have more functions choosing to work with iPhone instead Android?

Thanks!

photo

Hi Alessandra,

To switch to iphone you can create a new iPhone prototype and click on File -> Import -> Prototype and select the android prototype. This should save some time switching.

Best,

Marc

photo

Hi!

I have an Input text field and with clicking inside, the native keyboard of my iphone appears.

Now I want that with opening this page, the native keyboard will be opened immediatly so that you can enter keys without clicking first inside the input text field. How can I do this?

photo

Hi JD,

This would work when adding a 'Set focus' event on the input field on page load. Ayway this is not actually working, I've reported the bug to de development team and we will let you know when ths is fixed.

Regards,

Lidia

photo

What I wanna do avoid the keyboard opening. I am not using any input components and even though it is opening :(

photo

Hi Cristianne,

You should use a text widget instead of an input text field widget.

Best,

Sonia Durán

photo

I've reached this forum for the same issue, and I'm affraid it's still NOT fixed...

photo

When using an Input Text Field widget, a keyboard will automatically pop up when you click on that Input Text Field during simulation

Leave a Comment

Attach a file